Household Hazardous Waste

HHW 2009

About the Facility

The Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is available for residents of Shelby County to bring their hazardous waste items. It is located on 6305 Haley Road in Memphis, Tennessee (38134). Currently, the facility is open to residents on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, excluding the holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Day. For further information, call (901)222-7729. The Household Hazardous Waste Facility Acceptable & Not Acceptable products list. Helping Protect Our Environment.

Household-Hazardous-Waste Brochure


What is Household Hazardous Waste?

Household hazardous waste refers to household products that are considered to be flammable, toxic, and/or harmful to the environment. Commonly, residents use certain products around their home for convenience, but they often fail to realize that many of those products have components that pose a threat to people as well as the environment. Examples of these components include insecticides, pesticides, hydrofluoric acid, etc.

Dangers of Household Hazardous Waste Products

The presence of household hazardous waste can become harmful to the environment and residents. When hazardous waste is disposed and spread into the air and waterways, animals and humans can be impacted in different ways. When dangerous chemicals are inhaled, consumed, or touched, it could cause respiratory issues, burns/reactions on the skin and eyes, etc. There have also been some links between encounters with hazardous chemicals and cancer.

What You Need to Know

  • The Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is ONLY available to Shelby County Residents (you will be asked to present your car tag and zip code). Exceptions are made for members of the military, as they are not required to present a Shelby County tag.
  • Latex paint is no longer being accepted by the facility (only oil-based paint is accepted). Once latex paint is dried (through a simple process), it can be placed in a separate bag in your garbage can.
  • Televisions are not accepted by the facility. Televisions contain a capacitor that sends out an electrical spark that ignites flammable substances. However, computer screens, monitors, and keyboards are accepted.
  • To minimize the amount of materials coming in, there is a limit of 100 pounds per vehicle every 30 days.
  • On electronics, the facility accepts a maximum of one monitor, one keyboard, and one computer per family every 30 days.
  • Items should be brought in a clear tote or box.
Man Thinking2

Leftover Latex Paint
The number-one item collected in Memphis and Shelby County during our previous one-day annual events was latex paint. Things you can to do with your leftover latex paint are:

  • Dry it up - Simply remove the lid and place in a safe, well-ventilated area. Cans one-fourth full or less will dry in a few days. For cans with greater volume, add mulch or cat litter to dry up the paint. Once it is dry, it is okay to place in a separate bag inside your garbage. Place your empty or dried paint cans in your trash for regular collection. 
  • Pass it on - Donate unopened cans of paint. Many schools and community, religious, and theater groups will accept unopened cans, especially of white paint. Even a neighbor may need some extra paint. Also, check your paint store's policy on returning unopened cans of paint. 
  • Use it up - Small amounts of paint can be mixed with other colors or bulked together to be used as a primer coat or on jobs where the final finish is not critical. Avoid waste; buy only what you need. 


  1. If I have scrap metals, can I bring them to the HHW facility? The HHW does not accept scrap metals. You could take them to Worley Brothers Scrap Iron and Metal located at 1203 Chelsea Ave, Memphis, TN 38107. You can contact them at (901) 577-1116.
  2. Why can’t I bring in televisions? The facility does not accept televisions because they contain a capacitor that sends out an electrical spark that ignites flammable substances. 
  3. Do I need to bring any documentation when I bring materials to the HHW facility? You do not need any paperwork to bring materials to the HHW. However, we do ask for car tags and zip codes to verify that you are a county resident.
  4. What materials do the HHW facility accept? What materials do the HHW facility not accept? Visit the lists of acceptable and unacceptable items.
  5. If I live specifically in the city of Memphis, can I still bring my materials to the HHW facility? Only residents of the county are permitted to bring their materials to the HHW facility. A county zip code will be required upon arrival.
  6. What is the process like for dropping off materials? The process for dropping off materials is very simple. Once your zip code, tag, and materials are verified, the HHW workers will unload your materials.

Holiday Schedule 2022                                                               
Thursday, November 24th - Thanksgiving

Please be advised

The Household Hazardous Waste Facility Acceptable & Not Acceptable products list. 

Helping Protect Our Environment
The Memphis and Shelby County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility accepts hazardous waste materials from residential homes only (no commercial or business waste is accepted).