Probate Court to remain appointment only including name changes until further notice.
To set an appointment please call 901-222-3771
To view state approved plans for reopening, click here.
In our efforts to reduce/stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) the Probate Court Clerk’s Office is open by appointment only for all court related activities. The following steps will be taken:
1) Utilize Mail: Rather than making an appointment to come in and file pleadings, you may file your Petitions/Motions, Answers/Responses by mailing them into the Clerk’s Office to file, along with your Order, your payment, and a self-addressed, stamped return envelope.
2) To schedule an appointment please call 901-222-3771
3) Once you have secured an appointment please arrive at your assigned time to process your request.
4) Request will be limited to activities on two (2) probate cases per appointment.
5) The following appointment windows will be available:
Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 11:30am and 1:30pm – 3:30pm
DRESS CODE FOR COURT APPEARANCE
IN SHELBY COUNTY PROBATE COURT DIVISION II
Appropriate attire is mandatory for any appearance in court, whether as a participant in a case, a witness, or an observer. Appropriate attire not only helps maintain decorum but shows respect for our laws and courts.
As a general rule, think of the courtroom as a formal environment. Dress as you would when going for an important job interview. You will be barred from the courtroom if you violate the court dress code. Regardless of how you personally feel about the dress code, please obey the rules.
•Men: Wear shoes with socks; long pants (on pants with belt loops, wear a belt); shirt (tucked in) with or without a jacket.
•Women: Wear shoes; a dress, skirt or long pants; a blouse, sweater or casual dress shirt. (If your top is sleeveless, wear a jacket or sweater.)
- You will NOT be allowed to enter the courtroom wearing the following inappropriate clothing (this may result in continuing your case):
- Shorts (anything pant above the ankle)
- Short skirts or dresses (anything more than 3 inches above the knee)
- Hats, baseball caps, curlers
- Halter, tube top, spaghetti straps, or low-cut top
- T-shirt or muscle shirt
- See-through clothing
- Flip flops or other noisy footwear
- Clothing that exposes your midriff or underwear
- Ripped or torn jeans
- Baggy pants that fall below your waist
- Clothing with an emblem, picture, or wording that promotes illegal or inappropriate activity
- Clothing that depicts or promotes violence, sex acts, illegal drug use, or profanity