Office of Planning & Development
Created as a joint City-County agency in 1977, the Office of Planning and Development (OPD) is comprised of the following two sections:
Land Use Controls Section (LUC)
The Land Use Controls Section
processes and analyzes applications for zoning changes, subdivision of property and other land development actions.
Comprehensive Planning Section
The Comprehensive Planning Section
serves as the central repository for plans and data useful for planning and policy studies conducted on behalf of city and county
administrations, legislative bodies and the general public. Annexation materials may be found on this subpage
of this section.
The following list includes the heads of the Office of Planning and Development since its creation in 1977. From 1977 to 1986, OPD was a stand-alone division of Memphis and Shelby County governments. In 1984, with the passage of Joint Ordinance No. 3333, the City and County Building Departments were merged to create the Office of Construction Code Enforcement
(OCCE) and in 1986, a new division, the Division of Planning and Development
was created to house the departments
of OCCE and OPD. As such, pre-1986 heads of OPD were known as "Directors" and post-1986 heads of OPD have been known as "Administrators," the term for heads of departments. During its entire history, the term "Planning Director" has been used for these individuals, regardless of whether they were directors or administrators.
Mike Ritz: 1977-1980
Phillip Whittenberg: 1980-1985
Cynthia Buchanan: 1992-1996
Terry Emerick: 1996-2005
Josh Whitehead: 2010-present
Directors of the Memphis and Shelby County Planning Commission(s)
The following list contains the Directors of the City, County and Joint Planning Commissions until the latter's absorption into OPD in 1977:
R.S. Fredericks: 1952-1955
Fred Davis: 1956-1961 (first director of the merged, Memphis and Shelby County Planning Commission)
Jerrold A. Moore: 1962-1967
John S. Griesbaum: 1969-1972
Robert Miller: 1973-1976
Secretaries of the Memphis and Shelby County Planning Commissions
Mr. R.S. Fredericks was the first individual listed as "Director" of the Planning Commissions. Before that, the equivalent position was "Secretary."
C.C. Pashby: 1921-1927
L.P. Cockrill (as "Engineer-Secretary"): 1928-1948
W.M. Perkins (as "Engineer-Secretary"): 1948-1952