Click to Home
Home   •   Print   •   Email   •   Contact Us
Go To Search
Click to Home

Online Services
Stay Connected
Construction Code Enforcement
Safety Standards
The Department of Construction Code Enforcement is responsible for ensuring that building construction conforms to local zoning regulations and to the safety standards set forth below. The following safety standards have been adopted for use in the City of Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County, and also in the cities of Arlington, Germantown, and Lakeland:

 Ordinance Number





 International Building Code Local Amendments



 International Existing Building Code Local Amendments



 International Residential Code Local Amendments



 National Electrical Code Local Amendments



 International Mechanical Code Local Amendments



 International Gas Code Local Amendments



 International Plumbing Code Local Amendments



 International Energy Conservation Code Local Amendments

*Reference Codes: American National Standard ICC A 117.1 2009 in conjuction with Chapter 11 of 2009 IBC and ANSI/ASME Elevator Code- A17.1 2010 Edition
Allen Medlock

6465 Mullins Station Rd.
Memphis, TN 38134

Ph: (901) 222-8300

Office Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:30 pm

Cashiers & License Hours
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Responsibilities & Services 
The department reviews plans, issues permits, and conducts inspections of all new buildings, additions, alterations, and associated components, including plumbing, electrical, and mechanical and gas systems. It is also responsible for regulating signs, billboards, and zoning compliance in Memphis and unincorporated Shelby County. For further information access any of our department resources below:

Rehabilitation Code
Sections of the International Building Code and International Existing Building Code many assist in the rehabilitation of older structures.  Click here for a pamphlet that summarizes these sections. 

Zoning Letters
Zoning letter requests may be made through the Office of Planning and Development.  See Item 6 on this page.           

Zoning Changes
Requests for zoning changes, such as rezonings, Special Use Permits, variances, etc., may be made through the Office of Planning and Development.  See the "Applications Forms" section of this page.

Zoning Complaints
Zoning complaints may be made through the Mayor's Action Center or by contacting Rose Hill, Signs, Zone and Special Events Manager at OCCE at 222-8374.           

Permit Research
The Department of Construction Code Enforcement has two new web features available. Customers can now retrieve permit data and view Daily Permit Reports via this website.

Vasco A. Smith, Jr. County Administration Building • (901) 222-2300
160 North Main Street Memphis TN 38103
SitemapAccessibilityPrivacy StatementCopyright NoticesPowered by CivicPlus