Second Thursday of the Month 3:00 pm
Shelby County Archives
Building 980A Nixon Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Visit Us on Facebook:
Members of the Historical Commission serve four-year terms and are appointed by the Shelby County mayor and confirmed by the Shelby County Commission. In all, this commission is comprised of 33 members.
Chairman: Laura Todd
County Historian: Jimmy Ogle
County Genealogist: Kathryn Graehl
County Register: Tom Leatherwood
||Dr. E.C. Curt Fields
||Dr. Jay Bobo
||LaSimba Gray, Jr.
Functions & Authority
The Commission works on behalf of historical awareness, preservation and education. Some of the duties include:
- reviewing and approving requests for historical markers
- maintaining a reference book on all historical markers in the county
- directs media and public attention to historic preservation issues
- recognizes with awards area high school and college historical scholars
- recognizes area historical authors and literary works
- offers guest speakers to community organizations
- participates in relevant historical commemorative events
- interacts with schools and historic preservation groups in furtherance of these goals.
- applies for, manages, and assists with grants from groups and foundations for historic purposes
NOTE: December 10th meeting is being held at the Scottish Rite, 825 Union, as our one "Field trip meeting to an historical site" annually. The 2016 meetings will be held at the Archives Office, 980A Nixon Drive.
2017 Shelby County History Festival
12:00-5:00 P.M., Sunday, April 2, 2016
Hillwood Hall at Davies Manor Plantation
3570 Davieshire Road, Bartlett, TN.
2017 SHELBY COUNTY HISTORY
6:30 P.M. WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 2
HILLWOOD HALL AT DAVIES MANOR PLANTATION
3570 DAVIESHIRE DRIVE BARTLETT, TENNESSEE
Our annual history awards dinner will have several features including the recognition of the Ed Williams History Teacher of the Year Award, recognition of the winners of the West Tennessee History Day District Contest held at the University of Memphis on February 27, 2016
Tickets are $25.00 per person, which includes the buffet dinner and we need your check and reservations by Friday, July 29 2016. Please make the check payable to Shelby County Historical Commission and mail to:
History Awards Dinner c/o Jimmy Ogle
4349 Sequoia Road Memphis, TN 38117
The new slate of officers of the Historical Commission for the 2016-17 year are:
Chairman - Laura Todd
Vice Chairman - Sylvester Lewis
Treasurer - Judy Davis
Secretary - Dr. Nick Gotten
Shelby County Historical Commission Meeting -
Thursday, December 8, 2016- 3:00 p.m.
Shelby County Archives Office
980A Nixon Drive
Meeting Minutes from the December 8th meeting
For additional information about the Historical Commission, please contact Jimmy Ogle