Fourth Thursday of the Month 3:00 pm
Shelby County Archives
Building 960 Nixon Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Visit Us on Facebook:
Members of the Historical Commission serve four-year terms and are appointed by the Shelby County mayor and confirmed by the Shelby County Commission. In all, this commission is comprised of 33 members.
Chairman: Jimmy Ogle
County Historian: Jimmy Ogle
County Genealogist: Elizabeth Hughes
County Register: Tom Leatherwood
||LaSimba Gray, Jr.
|Dr. E.C. Fields, Jr.
||Graydon Swisher, II
|Hubert Thompson, Jr.
| Jay Bobo
Functions & Authority
The Commission works on behalf of historical awareness, preservation and education. Some of the duties include:
- reviewing and approving requests for historical markers
- maintaining a reference book on all historical markers in the county
- directs media and public attention to historic preservation issues
- recognizes with awards area high school and college historical scholars
- recognizes area historical authors and literary works
- offers guest speakers to community organizations
- participates in relevant historical commemorative events
- interacts with schools and historic preservation groups in furtherance of these goals.
- applies for, manages, and assists with grants from groups and foundations for historic purposes
Shelby County History Festival
|March 27, 2014
April 24, 2014
May 22, 2014
Sunday, April 27th
12:00 noon - 5:00 pm
Hillwood Hall @ Davies Manor
9336 Daview Plantation Road
Booths displaying information from over 25 local historical organizations.
Booth space available by calling 386-0715 or daviesmanorplantation.org.
For additional information about the Historical Commission, please contact Chairman Jimmy Ogle at