Second Thursday of the Month 3:00 pm
Shelby County Archives
Building 960 Nixon Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Visit Us on Facebook:
Members of the Historical Commission serve four-year terms and are appointed by the Shelby County mayor and confirmed by the Shelby County Commission. In all, this commission is comprised of 33 members.
Chairman: Dr. Curt Fields
County Historian: Jimmy Ogle
County Genealogist: Elizabeth Hughes
County Register: Tom Leatherwood
||LaSimba Gray, Jr.
|Dr. E.C. Fields, Jr.
||Graydon Swisher, II
|Hubert Thompson, Jr.
| Jay Bobo
|| Todd Van Beck
Functions & Authority
The Commission works on behalf of historical awareness, preservation and education. Some of the duties include:
- reviewing and approving requests for historical markers
- maintaining a reference book on all historical markers in the county
- directs media and public attention to historic preservation issues
- recognizes with awards area high school and college historical scholars
- recognizes area historical authors and literary works
- offers guest speakers to community organizations
- participates in relevant historical commemorative events
- interacts with schools and historic preservation groups in furtherance of these goals.
- applies for, manages, and assists with grants from groups and foundations for historic purposes
The 2014 Shelby County History Awards Dinner was recently held at Hillwood Hall in Davies Manor. 179 folks from eleven local history organizations attended and over thirty individuals were recognized for the efforts and achievements during the past year, including students from Tennessee History Day competition.
Awards presented by the Shelby County Historical Commission were:
2013 Ed Williams Teacher of the Year - Dr. Scott Johnson, Lausanne Collegiate School
2014 Ed Williams Teacher of the Year - Sherrie Hopper, First Assembly Christian School
2014 Ellen Davies Rodgers Historian Award - John McNary, Shelby County Historical Commission
With the September 11 meeting, the new slate of officers of the Historical Commission for the 2014-15 year are:
Chairman - Dr. Curt Fields
Vice Chairman - Laura Todd
Treasurer - John McNary
Secretary - Dr. Nick Gotten
Shelby County Historical Commission Meeting - September 11
Thursday, September 11
Shelby County Archives Office
980A Nixon Drive
Meeting Minutes from the June 26 meeting
For additional information about the Historical Commission, please contact Chairman Dr. Curt Fields at