Motor Vehicle Division
150 Washington Ave.
For Renewal Information
Ph: (901) 222-3000
For Pricing / Other Information
Ph: (901) 222-3000
All Branches Are Monday - Friday
Main Office 150 Washington Ave. 8:00 am - 4:15 pm
Poplar Plaza 3412A Plaza Drive 7:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Germantown 2037 Exter Road 7:00 a.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Whitehaven Plaza 4122 Elvis Presley 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m and Millington 4836 Navy Road 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Raleigh/Frayser 3616 Austin Peay 8:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m
1075 Mullins Station 9:00 a.m. - 5:15 p.m.
We are pleased to announce a new feature on the Shelby County Clerk’s website. You are now able to sign up for Renewal Email Notifications. Once you sign up, you will receive an email reminder 30 days prior to the expiration of your registration.
Please click on the link below to sign up for your Renewal Email Subscription Notification.
A major job of the Shelby County Clerk's Office is administration of the Motor Vehicle Division. Many different issues can arise when titling and registering a vehicle in the State of Tennessee. We provide a trained staff to assist you so that your visit to the Clerk's Office will be as pleasant as possible.
Please call our information line at (901) 222-3000 to ensure that you have all the documents needed to complete your transaction.
Acceptable Forms Of Identification
Please verify ONE of the following:
- U.S. photo driver license or photo ID card or license from another country
Note: The Tennessee Certificate for Driving is NOT acceptable for proof of identification or residency.
- May also include photo learner permits
- Licenses not issued in English, must be translated and accompanied by a Certificate of Accurate Translation or valid International Driving Permit
- Original or Certified Birth Certificate
Note: Foreign birth certificates, not issued in English, must be translated and accompanied by a Certificate of Accurate Translation.
- Must be original or certified copy, have a seal and be issued by an authorized government agency such as the Bureau of Vital Statistics or State Board of Health.
- Hospital-issued certificates and baptismal certificates are NOT acceptable.
- Military Identification
- Active Duty, Retiree or Reservist military ID card
- Discharge papers
- Military Dependent ID card
- Passport (Valid) -- Passports, not issued in English, must be translated and accompanied by a Certificate of Accurate Translation. Passports are not acceptable if expired.
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement documentation
- Certificate of Naturalization N-550, N-570, N-578
- Certificate of Citizenship N-560, N-561, N-645 Northern Mariana Card, American Indian Card
- U.S. Citizen Identification Card (I-179, I-197) Temporary Resident Identification Card (I-688)
- Travel Documents - Record of Arrival and Departure (I-94)
- I-551 issued to the applicant
- U.S. Re-entry Permit (I-327)
- Employment Authorization card (I-688A, I-688-B, I-766)
- Travel Documents - Record of Arrival and Departure stamped Asylee, Parolee or Parole, refugee, asylum, HP (humanitarian parolee) or PIP (public interest parolee)(I-94)
- Refugee Travel Document (I-571)
- Canadian documents Immigration Record and Visa or Record of Landing (IMM 100)
- Canadian Department of Indian Affairs issued ID card
- Marriage Certificate -- Must include the applicant's full name and date of birth. The certificate must be the copy that is registered AFTER the marriage--NOT just the "license" authorizing the union.
- Adoptive Decree -- Must include the applicant's full name and date of birth.
- Legal Change of Name (Divorce, etc.) -- As recorded in court decree with judge's original signature and/or official court seal.
- Any other documentary evidence which confirms to the satisfaction of the Division the true identity of the applicant.
Please verify TWO of the following:
- Computerized Check Stubs --Must include the applicant's full name pre-printed on the stub.
- Union Membership Cards -- Must include the applicant's full name
- Work IDs -- Preferably with photo
- Financial Institution Documents -- Computer printouts of bank statements, savings account statements, loan documents, etc.
- Social Security Documents --SS Card (original only not metal or plastic replicas), printout, benefits statements, etc.
- Health Insurance Card -- TennCare, Medicaid, Medicare, etc.
- IRS/state tax form -- W2 Forms, Property tax receipts, etc.
- Military Records -- Assignment orders, selective service cards, Leave & Earnings Statement, etc
The forms referenced on the pages below may also be found on the State of Tennessee's website