The Application Process
To obtain a marriage license in Shelby County, both parties must appear for the issuance of the license. The age requirements for marriage in the State of Tennessee are as follows. For persons:
- Under the age of 16 - A waiver must be issued from Juvenile Court.
- Between the ages of 16 and 17 - You must have both parents accompany you and sign the approval affidavit. A birth certificate is required for verification. There is also a three-day waiting period for approvals.
- Between the ages of 18 and 20 - A birth certificate is required for verification.
- Age 21 and over - A picture ID is required for verification.
Marriage licenses are good for 30 days from date of issuance. The cost for couples that have attended four (4) hours of premarital preparation by a qualified instructor is $37.50
. The Premarital Preparation
form must be notarized and signed by the instructor
. The cost for couples that choose not to complete the Premarital Preparation
form by attending a premarital class is $97.50
Applicants applying for a marriage license may complete the Marriage Application
form prior to visiting the office.
The Marriage License - Rites of Matrimony, Marriage License - Certified Copy
and the Tennessee Department of Health - Certificate of Marriage
forms are given to the couple at the time of issuance.
After the ceremony has been performed, both the Tennessee Department of Health - Certificate of Marriage
form and the bottom tear-off portion of the Marriage License - Rites of Matrimony
form must be completed and signed by the individual performing the ceremony and forwarded back to the County Clerk's Office to be recorded. The marriage is not recognized by the State of Tennessee until the Shelby County Clerk's Office receives both of the forms and they are entered into the state's system.
If the Marriage License is not used with 30 days, it is voided and a new license must be purchased.
Newly married couples should present the Marriage License - Certified Copy
as proof of their marriage for legal documents, name changes, etc.
Effective July 1, 1985, a blood test is no longer required.
Where to Obtain Marriage Licenses
A Shelby County marriage license may be obtained at any of the following locations:
- 150 Washington Avenue - Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM until 4:15 PM
Shelby East Complex
- 1075 Mullins Station Road - Monday through Friday - 9:00 AM until 5:15 PM
- 4836 Navy Road - Monday through Friday - 8:00 AM until 4:15 PM
If you desire a certified copy of your marriage license, come by any of the above offices or mail a $10 check or money order along with the exact date
of the marriage and the full names
of both parties, to:
Shelby County Clerk
Att: Marriage Department, Suite 201
150 Washington Ave.
Memphis, TN 38103