Instructions for Prospective Volunteer Applicants
In order for your service to be most effective and beneficial to the inmates and staff, and to ensure that proper safety and security procedures are maintained for them and for yourself, we ask that you complete the following steps prior to your being approved as a volunteer.
- Carefully read and complete an Application for Volunteer Service form. This form may be completed and mailed to:
Shelby County Division of Corrections
1045 Mullins Station Rd.
Memphis, TN 38134
- Submit in writing an outline or a description of the service(s) you wish to provide. Include purpose, preferred hours, the days and length of your commitment. A copy of any license and/or certification is required to perform professional services in a particular specialty.
- Complete the volunteer training and investigative process required at the institution, which includes the following:
- Background investigation
- Interview by the volunteer coordinator or program supervisor of area assigned
- Mandatory volunteer orientation training at the institution (2-4 hours required)
- Photograph for a volunteer identification badge
- Sign the Volunteer Agreement Form (which details rules and regulations / confidentiality).
- Receive notice of approval from the volunteer coordinator.
We understand that the application process may seem demanding. Your patience and cooperation will allow us to develop a strong volunteer program. Thank you for your commitment to assist inmates. Please contact us at (901) 222-8638 if you have any questions or if we can help in the process of completing the forms.