Click to Home
Home   •   Print   •   Email   •   Contact Us
Go To Search
Click to Home

Online Services
Stay Connected
April Storm Damage Estimates Top $6 Million Dollars
It will cost Memphis and Shelby County more than $6 million to pay for damaged utilities and debris removal from the April 4 and April 19 storms.

“Damage totals are still being compiled. We hope Memphis and Shelby County will be declared a disaster area to help us pay for the storm damage,” said Bob Nations, Jr., Director of the Shelby County Office of Preparedness. Should the declaration be approved, the federal government would pay 75% of the damage costs with the remaining 25% coming from local government.

Public works crews continue cutting trees and removing debris today. However, based on the number of fallen trees, Directors from both the Memphis and Shelby County Public Works Divisions say it may take two months before all the debris gets hauled away.

All roads in Memphis and Shelby County are open and power has been restored to neighborhoods affected by last week’s storm. While recovery efforts continue today, another round of potentially dangerous storms is on the way.

“Forecasters with the National Weather Service say high winds, possibly tornadoes and heavy rains will move into Shelby County later today. The storm threat will continue through Wednesday. People need to stay aware of weather reports and be prepared to quickly move to a place of safety,” added Nations.

Vasco A. Smith, Jr. County Administration Building • (901) 222-2300
160 North Main Street Memphis TN 38103
SitemapAccessibilityPrivacy StatementCopyright NoticesPowered by CivicPlus