Fourth Thursday of the Month 3:00 pm
Shelby County Archives
Building 960 Nixon Drive
Memphis, TN 38134
Visit Us on Facebook:
Members of the Historical Commission serve four-year terms and are appointed by the Shelby County mayor and confirmed by the Shelby County Commission. In all, this commission is comprised of 33 members.
Chairman: Jimmy Ogle
County Historian: Ed Williams
County Genealogist: Elizabeth Hughes
County Register: Tom Leatherwood
||LaSimba Gray, Jr.
|Dr. E.C. Fields, Jr.
||Graydon Swisher, II
|Hubert Thompson, Jr.
| Jay Bobo
Functions & Authority
The Commission works on behalf of historical awareness, preservation and education. Some of the duties include:
- reviewing and approving requests for historical markers
- maintaining a reference book on all historical markers in the county
- directs media and public attention to historic preservation issues
- recognizes with awards area high school and college historical scholars
- recognizes area historical authors and literary works
- offers guest speakers to community organizations
- participates in relevant historical commemorative events
- interacts with schools and historic preservation groups in furtherance of these goals.
- applies for, manages, and assists with grants from groups and foundations for historic purposes
There are no vacancies on this Commission at this time.
For additional information about the Historical Commission, please contact Chairman Jimmy Ogle at