The Office of the Trustee is identified as a County Charter Office in accordance with the Shelby County Charter Amendment of November 2008. Under the amendment, the Trustee may serve two (2) four-year terms to perform those duties identified by the state constitution and mandated by the laws of the State of the Tennessee.
The duties of the Shelby County Trustee include the following.
- Accounting & Reporting
- Billing & Collections
- Banking & Operations
- Forecasting & Analysis
- Investment Management
As the banker for Shelby County, the Trustee offers tax benefit programs to seniors and disabled taxpayers. Along with these programs, the Trustee coordinates workshops for all citizens with a vision toward financial empowerment. Similar events are hosted on a year-round basis to provide personal assistance and added convenience for payment and application services. The Trustee's Office is also a primary partner of Bank On Memphis, an initiative to increase access to traditional banking services and products.
- Kiosks: The Trustee has 18 payment kiosks located throughout Shelby County. Payment kiosks and branch locations offer taxpayers added convenience with real-time payment information.
- Mobile cashiering: The Trustee received the 2010 National Association of Counties achievement award (financial management category) for the development and use of mobile cashiering technology. With this innovation, the Trustee is better able to serve the entire community by providing short-term payment locations at local libraries, churches, and community centers.
- Pinnacle Achievement Award: In 2013 the National Association of State Treasurers honored the Trustee's Office with the Pinnacle Achievement Award which recognizes proactive financial literacy outreach by organizations nationally.
• Online Pay:Pay property taxes online on the Shelby County Trustee website.
• Auto Pay:Auto pay allows property owners to schedule payment of property taxes from a checking or savings account.
In 2012 the Trustee's Office introduced a new recurring payments feature that allows property owners to schedule payment of property taxes from a checking or savings account.
For Additional Information
For additional information and a calendar of Trustee activities, visit the Trustee website at Shelby County Trustee website or call (901) 222-0200.