2019 Summer Youth Intern Application
The Shelby County Board of Commissioners are proud to announce their 2019 County Commissioner’s Summer Youth Program.
The County Commissioner’s Summer Youth Program provides opportunities for students in Shelby County to develop constructive work habits, positive attitudes, and valuable job skills necessary to enter the workforce. During the Summer Youth Program each student will be held to the highest standards of attendance and will be assigned to departments within County Government, Corporate Sponsors and/or Non Profit Organizations with specific work needs. Each student will adhere to the established work schedule and perform effectively the work assigned to them. The students will be assigned a mentor and will receive developmental workshop training during the program. Each student will receive $8.00 per hour at 37.5 hours per week.
To be eligible for the program you must live in Shelby County, Tennessee and must be 16 years of age by June 1, 2019 and currently enrolled in school. (to include trade schools, college, home school, public or private high school).
Federal Law Information
Federal Law requires that all new employees provide proof of identity and employment eligibility at the time of employment. If you are hired, you must be able to provide one of the following:
- A U.S. Passport
- A certificate of U.S. citizenship
- A certificate of naturalization
- An unexpired foreign passport with attached employment authorization
- An alien registration card with photograph OR
- If you are hired and do not have any of the above documents, you will be required to provide the following:
- Valid Driver’s License
- State issued photo ID card
- U.S. Military card AND
- Original Social Security Card (NO EXCEPTIONS)
- An unexpired INS employment authorization
- Copy of voided check or deposit slip (for direct deposit)
- Applicants must be at least 16 years of age and currently enrolled in school. (to include trade schools, college, home school, public or private high school)
- Must live in Shelby County, Tennessee.
- Preferences may be given to students who have worked with the county before and have good recommendations from their previous supervisor.
- Applicants must be student in good standing.
- Youth program participants will be held to the highest standards of attendance. Students will be assigned to departments of County Government, Corporate Sponsors and Non Profit Organizations with specific work needs for these students. Each student will adhere to the established work schedule and perform effectively the work assigned them.
- Shelby County Employees children are eligible to apply for positions.
- The First day of work for student will be Monday, June 3, 2019 and the last working day shall be Thursday, July 31, 2019.
- Commissioners or Commission Staff may interview applicants who meet these qualifications and make a decision on sponsorship.
- Each selected student will receive an hourly rate of $8.00 per hour at 37.5 hours per week.
- A student missing five (5) unexcused absences from the program may be disqualified from participating in the remaining 2019 Summer Youth Program, but may re-apply without penalty to participate in future Commission sponsored Summer Youth Programs.
- Student MUST provide his/her own transportation to and from assigned work locations. Every effort will be done to place students near their residence.
Please submit your application no later than Monday, March 18, 2019 at 4:30 pm online (click here)
Shelby County Board of Commissioners
Attn: Summer Youth Program
160 N. Main Street, Suite 600
Memphis, TN 38103
REQUIREMENTS ONCE SELECTED
1. As required by state and federal regulations to certify your eligibility to work in the United States, Shelby County Government participates in E-Verify. You MUST bring one (1) document with you from list A; OR one (1) document from List B and one (1) document from List C that are on the I-9 form (enclosed).
2.It is mandatory that you bring your Social Security Card with you. The name that is on your social security card will be used for payroll purposes. If you do not have your social security card, please go to the nearest Social Security Administration (SSA) office to apply for a replacement card. (The SSA letter will not substitute for an actual social security card).
3.Direct deposit of your pay to a financial institution is mandatory for all Shelby County new employees. For direct deposit you must bring a voided check, deposit slip or a letter from a financial institution with your name, account number, and routing number on the institution’s letterhead.